“If you want something you’ve never had, then you’ve got to do something you’ve never done”- Anonymous
Hence, inspired from that quote, I set some goals at the beginning of the course so that I could accomplish them and am now reflecting upon the learning and experience I gained during that adventurous journey.
So to begin with, my foremost goal was be to be balanced throughout my DP journey and to meet this goal I participated actively in both academic and creative, sportive and service field to keep myself physically and mentally fit.
- Creativity- For creativity, I decided to learn piano as an instrument so that my creativity would be on a continuity basis and in addition to this, I will be able to work upon my creative skills as well as develop areas for growth by identifying my own strengths by undertaking challenges and hence, developing new skills in the whole process.
- Learning Piano enhanced my creativity and concentration power as it is a hard instrument which requires patience. I can now apply to other knowledge and learning areas and experiences. Adding up to creativity: piano classes…
- Activity- For activity, I did not necessarily aim for one but rather more. One of them being badminton which I have been working towards since last year. Initially, my aim was to get selected in the school tram. Secondly, I will be looking forward to participate in other activities too.
- So, the activities I participated in include body conditioning, Badminton, step dancing and Zumba. All these activities made me stay consistent in physical work out and training in order to keep balance between academics and activity.
- From body conditioning to Badminton; this journey from body conditioning to Badminton involved planning ahead by participating in body conditioning in order to train myself for badminton. Secondly, Badminton taught me to be committed and undertake challenges by being a risk taker. Hence, helping me develop area for personal growth and develop new skills in the process SAISA Badminton: hard work and determination pays off. Being in a team requires to have a team spirit and collaborative work. Hence, Badminton taught me the benefits of working as a team and not only as an individual.
- Next comes Step Dancing: learning from step to step and Zumba: making fitness an enjoyment. Both the activities were planned (initiating and planning a CAS experience) by me in order to helped myself in being fit.
- Service- For service, I set my aim to make a change in the school community and make people aware about the growing concerns about wastage of resources on and around the OSC campus. I am a part of the Recycling and Sustainability service and as a leader my prime duty is to stay committed towards my responsibility and to continue awaring and informing people about the issues being raised. Recycling and sustainability: train to sustain!
- This year was fairly challenging yet successful in terms of the progress we have made; the introduction of new terms and conditions in the canteen i.e. replacing the paper boxes and disposable cutlery with reusable plastic plates and cutlery respectively; then the replacement of the old bins with new, well labeled bins (Plastic/etc., food, paper) all around the school campus. Service goals coming into action: making a change!
- Last but not the least, comes up the issue of saving electricity by closing the doors before exiting the canteen or any other classroom, in order to save electricity and reduce carbon emissions. Therefore, me being the leader of the service came up with an idea to print a notice that reads “KINDLY CLOSE THE DOORS” and stick it to the canteen doors.’ Spreading awareness around the school: new challenge!
- Hence, demonstrating engagement and commitment with issues of global significance.